Intime UK Immigration Solicitors chester manchester
Close this search box.
News & Articles Chester Manchester UK

News & Articles

Truth About UK Spouse Visa and Settling There You Never Knew

News & Articles

Truth About UK Spouse Visa and Settling There You Never Knew

News & Articles Chester Manchester UK
UK Marriage Spouse Visa Solicitor

Are you in Manchester, UK, on a spouse visa, and now wish to stay here forever or until your children grow up or you retire? If yes, today’s blog is for you. Here, we will discuss the importance of applying for a UK spouse visa extension and when you should do that to settle in this country. Read on.

Unlocking the Facts about British Spouse Visa and Settling in the UK

Let’s begin with why it is imperative to settle in the UK. Well, in one line, we can say that it makes you feel secure to live in your own country. However, we can give not just one but more reasons beyond this, such as:

  • You do not have to apply for UK family visas anymore while spending your money on the immigration health surcharge or Home Office fees for visa applications.
  • You can have an unlimited right to work in the UK.
  • Once you obtain your Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), you are eligible to apply for dual or British citizenship.
  • You can live in the UK if you hold an Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) when your partner passes away. If you do not meet the 5-year residence requirement through the spouse visa extension, it is possible to acquire ILR using the bereavement concession.
  • Suppose you have separated from your partner. In this case, you can’t stay in the UK on a spouse visa, but holding onto an ILR allows you to do so. 

Note: Make sure you inform the Home Office about your separation so they can curtail your visa and give you a chance to switch your visa to settle in the UK.

Path to Settling in the UK from Living on a Spouse Visa

A UK marriage visa allows one to stay and work in the UK initially for 30 months for those who are applying within the UK and 33 months if they live overseas. After that period, you can extend your spouse visa in the UK for up to 5 years. Once it is over, you are eligible to make an application for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) if the sponsor complies with financial requirements and you are still married and living in the UK. 

So, the path involves three simple steps. Key takeaways:

Step 1: Apply for a UK marriage visa.

Step 2: Make an application for extending the spouse visa.

Step 3: Apply for an Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).

Step 4: Apply for British citizenship as you have the right to stay here using the ILR (optional). 

Since switching to UK settlement from the spouse visa is a big step, there are certain grounds to be eligible for the Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), such as:

  • Meeting the residence requirements
  • You should be in an ongoing marriage relationship with a British citizen settled in the UK.
  • You and your sponsoring partner should be present in the UK when applying for an ILR.
  • You need to meet the minimum financial requirements, like the minimum income of 18,600 pounds per year before tax, without having any children. For the first child, it will increase by £3,800 and further by £2,400 for any additional child.
  • You need to meet the English language and accommodation requirements.

To ensure you meet all the requirements and do not breach any grounds for visa refusal, partner with an immigration lawyer for a spouse visa

Best Spouse Visa Solicitors in Manchester to Get in Touch With 

We hope you understand the importance of applying for a UK spouse visa extension and settling in the UK and how to do that. Now, if you are seeking professional help to take care of your settlement applications and UK spouse visa, count on Intime Immigration Solicitors. We are the leading spouse visa solicitors in Manchester, UK, to guide you throughout the process and understand the complex rules.Call us now, or book an online assessment today!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Contact an expert now!

No legal aid, private clients only