If you have a child who is a British citizen and is settled in the UK or has been living in the UK for more than seven years continuously, then you can make an application to enter, live, or permanent settlement in the UK for the care concerns of the child. The following are must requirements for a child and parent.
Requirements for child
- The child must be under the age of 18, when the application was made or was under 18 when the first application was made to grant leave and the child was living a dependent life at then.
- If the child is living an independent life (left home, got married, and have children)then the child must need to be British and settled in the UK (with proof of permanent residence or settled status).
Responsibilities as a parent
- Parents must have sole shared parental responsibilities for the child.
- In case of shared parental responsibilities, the other parent shouldn’t be your own partner and also needs to be a British citizen or UK settled.
- If the child is living with other parents, then the applicant must have access to the child in person because the other parent consent to it or court order for an in-person meeting with the child.
Things must be proven
- The parent must need to provide proof of his/her active participation in the child’s upbringing and intentions to continue later as well.
For evidence the parent can provide:
- Confirmation letter by school management of child about parent’s visits to PTMs (parent-teacher meeting) or parent actively picks and drops the child.
- Or dentist’s confirmation about the appointments parent takes for the child.
- Or the other parent’s confirmation about parents’ frequent contact with the child.
Requirements from the parent
- The parent must have sufficient English understanding skills.
- He/she can financially support the child without the help of public funds.
- In case the parent couldn’t meet these requirements, he/she can still apply for permission of staying if the child is a UK or British national or living for seven years or more and it is unreadable for the child to leave the UK.
Duration of living
- The parent can get permission of living for 2.5 years afterward they need to apply for an extension.
If the parent has other children who are under 18 or were under 18 at a time when first leave was granted, he/she can apply for them as well.