Intime UK Immigration Solicitors chester manchester
Close this search box.
News & Articles Chester Manchester UK

News & Articles

What Is a UK Fiancé Visa, and How Does It Differ from the Spouse Visa?

News & Articles

What Is a UK Fiancé Visa, and How Does It Differ from the Spouse Visa?

News & Articles Chester Manchester UK

The UK Family Visa has several subcategories based on the applicant’s relationship status. As a British overseas citizen, if you want to add a member to your family in the UK, then you have to apply for something officially known as a “family of a settled person” visa. This visa category is broken down into Spouse or Partner Visa, Child Dependent Visa, etc. 

Fiancé Visa is another popular visa type designed for couples who want to get married shortly. The purpose of this post is to shed light on Fiancé Visa. In addition, we will also discuss the techniques of switching from fiance to Spouse Visa in the UK. So, without wasting any time, let’s get started. 

Understanding UK Fiancé Visa 

A Spouse or Partner Visa allows the long-term partner of a British overseas citizen to enter the nation and join his/her family. The Fiancé Visa also does the same, but it only applies to future spouses. It allows potential couples to get married and live in the UK. Kindly note that this visa is valid only for six months. You must marry your future partner within this window or at least indulge in a civil partnership.

How the Spouse Visa Differs from Fiancé Visa

An applicant must be already married or in a long-term relationship while cohabiting for two years or more to apply for a Partner or Spouse Visa. However, you don’t have to be married or meet the cohabitation requirement to be eligible for a Fiancé Visa. But you must prove that you are in a genuine relationship for the same. A few differences that set Fiancé Visa apart from Spouse Visa are as follows:

  1. Spouse Visa allows the visa holder to stay in the country for as long as two years and nine months. But as already mentioned, a Fiancé Visa is only valid for six months
  2. Fiancé Visa holders can’t work in the UK, but such restrictions do not apply to Spouse Visa holders. 
  3. Applicants are not required to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge(IHS) while applying for a Fiancé Visa. But paying for UK healthcare as a part of the immigration application is mandatory when applying for a Spouse Visa. 

Switching from a Fiancé Visa to a Spouse Visa

If you have a Fiancé Visa but want to stay in the UK for more than six months, then you must switch to Spouse Visa before your Fiancé Visa expires. Theoretically speaking, the applicant has to be honest and straightforward regarding his/her visa upgradation. The Home Office, however, assesses each application on merit. Submitting the correct documents to support your application is also mandatory. The Spouse Visa application submission is considered successful if the candidate meets the following requirements:

  1. He/she must hold a Fiancé Visa and should not breach the conditions attached to their entry clearance.
  2. He/she must fulfil the relationship requirements.
  3. The candidate must possess good character and meet the financial requirement of £18,600.
  4. He/she must adhere to the English language requirement at CEFR Level A1.

We hope that the concept of a Fiancé Visa is now clear to you. Besides, we have also revealed the technique of switching from fiance to Spouse Visa in the UK. Feel free to consult with Intime Immigration Ltd(Intime Solicitors) if you are still not confident about this transition. Our immigration lawyers are committed to making every effort to help clients meet their families in the UK. Contact us now for a free consultation. Let’s figure out the best immigration route for you!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Contact an expert now!

No legal aid, private clients only