Intime UK Immigration Solicitors chester manchester
Close this search box.
News & Articles Chester Manchester UK

News & Articles

UK Fiancé Visa vs. Spouse Visa: Finding the Smoothest Path to Love

News & Articles

UK Fiancé Visa vs. Spouse Visa: Finding the Smoothest Path to Love

News & Articles Chester Manchester UK
UK Fiancé Visa

Do you and your partner wish to settle in the UK together? But, unsure which one to apply for a spouse visa or a fiancé visa? Stop pulling your hair out! We are here to tell you the best possible option out of these two and suggest the right route for you. Let’s begin. 

UK Spouse Visa or Fiancé Visa: Which Is the Right Route to Be with Your Love?

Nothing feels more special than getting married and celebrating life with the person you love. But, the hassle of lengthy paperwork for visa applications is a headache. In fact, we guess it always remains at the last of your priority list when planning to settle with your partner in the UK. 

However, it’s imperative to identify the right type of Partner visa, as there are more than one option: Spouse visa and Fiancé visa. And, if you are all set to tie the knot in a civil partnership or marriage or are already in it, we can help you identify the best route for you. For instance:

Getting married in the UK-

Are you already married? If not, you are not eligible to apply for a UK Spouse visa. In this case, you can apply for a Fiancé visa if you and your partner have a plan to get married in the UK and live here together as a family. In fact, the best part of it is that you can easily switch to a UK Spouse visa from a Fiancé visa for 2.5 years without leaving the country once, especially when you wish to remain here after getting married. You are eligible for a Fiancé visa when:

  • You are already engaged.
  • You are intending to get married soon, like within 6 months of entering the UK.
  • You can switch to a UK Marriage visa from a Fiancé visa if you plan to stay in the UK after marriage.

On the contrary, both married and unmarried partners can apply for a Spouse visa in the UK if they meet the eligibility criteria, including financial requirements, proof of relationship, any of them being a British national, etc. To apply for this marriage visa, your partner should be either a British citizen or have settled status in the UK. 

Living together in the UK-

When both you and your partner wish to live together in the UK, applying for a UK Spouse visa is the best possible option. In this case, one of you should be a permanent resident of the UK or a British national to sponsor the other’s visa. With this visa application, you can live together under a single roof here if the Spouse visa requirements are met, including:

  •  Both must be at least 18 years old.
  • A combined income of at least £18,600 annually
  • Proof of accommodation and relationship

The Fiancé visa may allow you and your partner to live together but it lasts only for six months, although you can switch to a Spouse visa directly after it expires. Contrarily, the Spouse visa is valid for 30 months and 33 months (if applied outside the UK), which you can extend once it expires for up to 5 years. After this, you are eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)

In Conclusion

Compared to the Fiancé visa, the UK Spouse visa is the better and easier path to your love when both you and your partner dream of living together in the UK even after marriage or entering into a civil partnership. 

However, you may have to experience lengthy paperwork and meet all the Fiancé visa requirements, alongside the eligibility criteria for a Spouse visa, to settle down in the UK. Anyway, you can easily overcome it with the help of our professional UK Spouse visa solicitors. At Intime Immigration Solicitors, we will help you meet all the visa requirements and understand the latest visa changes.

Get in touch with us today for a no-obligation assessment!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Contact an expert now!

No legal aid, private clients only