Hey, is your partner a British national? Do you want to join him or her? If yes, we recommend speaking with the best immigration lawyer in Chester for your UK partner visa applications! They will ensure that you meet every requirement, including financial and relationship.
But before you go ahead with the UK visa application, you should have a clear idea. The following guide may be helpful here. Let’s read on.
What is a UK Spouse Visa?
UK spouse visa, also known as a UK marriage visa, allows a foreign national to join his or her partner in the UK and live with the person if he or she is settled, i.e. EU Settled Status or with Indefinite Leave to Remain or a British citizen. But you can get the right when you are eligible for the visa, which comes through marrying a British citizen.
Also, an applicant is considered eligible even if in a civil relationship, unmarried, or even married. And the Home Office grants a UK spouse visa for up to 2 years and 9 months. After that, if you want to extend your stay, apply for ILR to remain permanently here without breaking any immigration rules.
However, the eligibility criteria are beyond what we have discussed below.
Who Is Eligible for UK Spouse Visa Application?
Generally, a person of 18 years or over can apply for a Spouse visa in the UK if his or her partner is a British national or someone holding a steeled status in this region. Besides this, you are eligible for the application when:
- You are in homosexual or heterosexual marriage
- Your partner is under humanitarian protection and living in the UK
- Your spouse holds a refugee status
- Both you and your partner wish to live together in the UK
Requirements for UK Spouse Visa 2023
There is a set of strict requirements to be eligible to make an application for a UK spouse visa, including showing proof of your genuine relationship, annual income, suitable accommodation, and knowledge of the English language. Have a look at the details below:
Evidence of Genuine relationship with your partner
To acquire a spouse visa, you need to provide evidence for your genuine relationship. For example:
- If you and your partner are unmarried, give proof of your living together for at least two years.
- When you are married while applying for the visa, provide joint bank account documents, tenancy, and joint mortgage agreements. In this case, you should consult an experienced immigration lawyer in Chester for your UK partner visa.
- While planning to get into a civil partnership or married, you have to do that within six months of entering the UK.
Proof of financial requirements
Your UK-based partner or spouse must have a minimum gross annual income. You have to show the income sources mentioned below as financial evidence:
- Self-employment details or income details from employment
- Pension of the partner or the applicant
- Savings or other incomes sources of you or your partner
English language requirement-
Since you desire to live with your partner in the UK, show that you and your partner have the required English knowledge. For this, you have to:
- Pass an English language test
- Show your academic qualification
But there are exemptions for those over 65 years old, mentally or physically unstable, or coming from different countries, like the USA, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Jamaica, St Lucia, etc.
You need to provide evidence for proper accommodation in the UK, like:
- Owned and occupied by you or your family members
- Meeting public health requirements
- Having the required living space
Meeting all these legal requirements for a UK visa application can be challenging while doing it on your own. Plus, the chances of making mistakes remain when you try to apply for a UK spouse visa without having much knowledge, which can cause visa refusal.
Need help? We, Intime Immigration Limited(Intime Solicitors), are here. Count on our expert immigration lawyer in Chester for your UK partner visa application. Our solicitors can help you through the process from start to finish.